Thursday, April 30, 2009

Paper One Blog

Introduction:

In "The Voice" by Thomas Hardy the poet tells the story of a lover who has lost his better half. The word choice, diction, and sentence structure that the poet uses express and develop and underlying theme of concern and disillusion at the lost of a loved one. The extended metaphors that the poet uses combined with the defying similes add to the mood and set the tone of the poem.

Body:

Thomas Hardy creates the sense of disbelief and concern with his diction.
  • "Can it be you that I hear?"
  • "Or is it only the breeze..."
  • "Heard no more again far or near?"

The poem carries an underlying tone of desperation and anxiety

  • "How you call to me, call to me..."
  • "When you have changed me from the one who was all to me,"
  • "Where would you wait for me"

The poets use of exntended metaphor and use of similes add to the theme

  • "Even to the original air blue gown"
  • "In its stillness traveling across the wet mead to me here..."
  • "Wind oozign thin through the thorn from norward..."

Conclusion:

Thomas Hardy uses several literary techniques to elaborate on the underlyign tones of desperation and disillusion that the lover feels now that he has lost his loved one.

2 comments:

cmosier said...

Very good thesis. Only thing I would say could make it better is describe the tone/mood of the poem. Is it sad, happy, angry, jealous? Other than that very good interpretation

Patti said...

Nice outline Johnny. I didn't do this one for my commentary outline so it really helped me understand this text better than when I first read it. I agree with claire, you should have explained what kind of emotion the poem gives off to the reader.